Tuesday, February 3, 2009

C-Section story, not for the faint of stomach


I am just about healed up from the C-section and it has been a long 5 week recovery. The end result gave us a beautiful baby girl and she is so sweet. But I hope never to go through a healing process like that again! At the hospital, I got an infection. In the hospital the doctors and nurses were on the look out because I had a high white blood cell count. I did not come down with a fever until about a week after the delivery. And not being aware of the risk of infection, I was surprised when a 1/3 inch of my incision opened and puss pored out. (Sorry for the nasty picture, but yes it pored out.) And not only that but about 3 days later another 1/4 inch of it opened and..... yes, more puss. The doctors said the solution was to put me on antibiotics and stuff the now openings in my stomach with gauze to suck out the puss and allow the wound to heal from the inside out. As of yesterday, I am now done with the gauze stuffing and it is 97% healed from the inside out! It was a painful process! Have you ever had a wound that you had to clean by rubbing it with a wash cloth or something. That is what it felt like the first few weeks of having the gauze stuffed into my open wound. Not fun!
But, I would do it all over again if it meant I got to bring home our Sweet Savannah! She is mostly sleeping through the night. For the last 5 days or so, she has woken up once per night for a feeding. (Except for last night of course, there was two.) But every night gets a little better. Speaking of, I must head for bed myself!

2 comments:

girl said...

Ok, I had already heard your story, but my stomach is still turning. I am so glad you are ok and almost healed. Praise God!! I can't wait to meet Sweet Savannah, even if she is walking and talking by the time I finally see her! Miss you, my friend!

meyersfam said...

Horrible time! But totally worth it for such a pretty sweet baby!!! She is soooo cute!